Search This Blog

Saturday, January 14, 2012

My favorite bonsai subject

About 5 years ago a friend of mine got me started in bonsai, using a plant called Portulacaria afra. You may have seen it under the name Elephant Food, or Elephant Bush, since elephants LOVE them!

Fastforward to now and I have a bunch of bonsai and future bonsai Portulacaria in my yard. It's a great outdoor bonsai, easy to care for and the only things that kill it are overwatering and freezing! Oh, and if an elephant or an errant goat get to them. Some of my plants have survived errant goats, but I doubt they'd survive an elephant :).

Here's a great resource, more information that you can scroll through in five minutes, all about the P. Afra! There's even information that I've sent the author, and I was glad to see he incorporated it into the giant website monograph.

Here's the link:

Portulacaria Afra Monograph

No comments:

Post a Comment